Business Aviation Now

The official blog of B/CA magazine
See All Posts
  • From NBAA: EAA: Innovation As Well As Experimentation
    Posted by Benet Wilson 1:48 PM on Oct 20, 2010

    Why is the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) at Booth 3246 at the NBAA convention this week? Don’t they all build airplanes in garages? Well, 16% of them do; the other 84% of the 120,000 owner-members fly regular, certified airplanes.

    It is to better address the needs of this majority that newly appointed EAA President, Rod Hightower was at the Convention to talk about his plans to expand the EAA in several new directions, particularly regarding the association magazine’s coverage of certified aviation.

    In a move that will have longer-term, beneficial knock-on effects on business aviation, Hightower plans to expand the already highly successful Young Eagles air experience flight scheme that encourages youngsters to consider an aviation career or hobby. “You can expect some changes there,” he declared.

    And what about the fact that the top end of the EAA’s annual AirVenture meeting looks just like the lower end of the NBAA’s Convention in terms of turboprop twins and light, certified jets? And the traders’ booths at Oshkosh contain innovative technology that tempts the industry’s “big boys” to tour the Wisconsin showground for ideas?

    “It was not planned for,” Hightower told Show News, “but especially in the last 10 to 12 years, AirVenture has showcased innovation. We welcome it. Large companies visit AirVenture and we encourage that trend. For example, at next year’s show you will be quite surprised to see how far electric-powered flight is going.”

    Tags: ba99, nbaa10, EAA

Share:
  • Recommend
  • Report Abuse

Comments on Blog Post