Airport Confidence In Qantas Deal May Be Premature

By Adrian Schofield adrian.schofield@aviationweek.com
Source: AWIN First
October 10, 2013
Credit: AirTeamImages

Brisbane International Airport has launched a key stage in its controversial new runway project, even though it has still not reached a funding deal with its largest operator, Qantas Airways.

The airport has been attempting to gain support from its tenant airlines for its A$1.35 billion ($1.3 billion) second parallel runway, since the carriers will be helping pay for it through ticket taxes. An airport spokeswoman says of all the airlines using Brisbane only Qantas is not onboard.

While the airport has previously indicated that it wanted to have airline agreements in place before it would begin earthworks, it has decided it must start to meet its goal of opening the runway by 2020. ”We’re not going to wait around forever, now’s the time to move ahead,” the spokeswoman says.

This decision was partly based on the fact that the airport’s board is “very confident” that it can reach a funding agreement with Qantas, the airport spokeswoman says.

To read the full article, log in to the Aviation Week Intelligence Network.

Not a subscriber? Request additional information or a free demonstration.


Comments On Articles